[Cob] Finish on a cob couch

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:12:23 CDT 2003

I can remember my mother saying that trying to heat raw linseed oil oneself
was dangerous--it might explode, but I can't at the moment find any links,
and I wouldn't really trust my memory on that.  I did find that the
boiled--oxygen and dryers added--dried a lot quicker.  The boiled (maybe
because of the added oxygen, maybe all of the linseed oils) has a bad
reputation for spontaneous combustion--self-igniting, the British call it,
if you're not careful with your rags. Tung, hemp, other fine oils are a
whole lot more expensive and harder to find than the linseed, especially in
small-town America.

It will put a gold cast on whatever surface you are using. Not so good for
Kim's bench.  I think you're right, that a plain lime render might be the
best for that, although a clay/sand coat below that would cover the fiber
sticking out.

Be careful of the linseed oil.   Don't get the kind that has been processing
and has had chemicals added to it.   Also the raw pure lineseed oil has to
be heated before use, I believe I remember.   Please research this.   This
would give you a earthen color wall.

Hemp oil is also a very good oil to us.

But, lime is the traditional rendering for earthen walls.

Darel

Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
http://msnmessenger-download.com