[Cob] compare stonemasonry

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Fri Oct 17 17:02:24 CDT 2003

Um, hi.  Comming briefly out of lurk mode here...  I've found that I end up
storing list letters instead of reading them lately, so please forgive if
this material has been covered before.

What's to love about cob is also to love about stone -- heat capacity.
Could you help me to compare these materials in the context of a project?
(Or even in the context of heat capacity -- which has more, anyway?)

For the project, a flood-damaged stick wall is to be replaced -- actually
two walls that meet at the usual angle are to be replaced.  The plan is to
build the new wall along the inside of the stick wall, then remove the stick
wall from the outside and continue to build the new wall out.  (Is this a
good plan, anyway?  I figure that way I won't have to worry too much about
re-securing the roof, or vacating the property during construction.)

The larger wall is a south wall, by the way.  Hmmm... where do I go from
here?  The stone plan is a little more evolved than the cob plan.  With
stone I would create a beautiful south face for the house and then worry
about the outer layer of stone (that added after stick removed) will shear
away from the inner one.  But with cob I could just leave a rough surface so
the outer layer could cleave.  It might even be warmer than the stone, but
alas not quite as beautiful.  You know, I'm leaning heavily toward stone,
atleast for the outer face (Would stone facia cleave to an inner surface of
cob?  I remember that cement definately did *not* stick to cob)

Any ideas/ solutions/ advice?