[Cob] Friends of Cob: Washington DC

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 17:19:44 CDT 2003

        I had my meeting with Charlotte and we decided on a 5' x 7'
children's play house. She is a little nervous about glass windows so I will probably
make the main window without glass. (I hate it when vandals help to design my
structures.)
       I started the foundation today and got the first two layers in place.
I have decided on a three layer foundation consisting of a first layer of
gravel, a second layer of 4" thick urbanite and third layer of 9" thick urbanite.
The first two layer went on quite easily except that I did not have enough of
the 4" urbanite. I have been told that urbanite is not always easy to work
with, but I found it much easier to cut with ordinary stone working tools than
real stone. It has no grain and cuts where you want it every time.
       I will be back to finish the foundation tomorrow. If there is anyone
who would like to help, and learn how to use stone working tools Give me a
call. I hope to begin serious cobbing on October 28.
Ed Raduazo 703-360-2316

       If you have never been to Green Spring Gardens Park, it is worth a
visit even if you are not interested in cobbing. Take the beltway to 395 north.
Drive north towards Washington and take exit 3 (I think it is 3B Little River
Turnpike). Drive on Little River Turnpike for about a mile. Take a right on
Braddock Road, go about 300 yards and take another right into the new Braddock
Road entrance.