[Cob] smallest house design / kitchen appliances

SUSAN EVANS susansevans at msn.com
Fri Oct 24 11:40:07 CDT 2003

I've been looking at various web sites with house plans - log cabin manufacturers, etc. for ideas also.  Have you checked out this site - thousands of plans, and searchable by size, style, etc.  http://www.coolhouseplans.com/index.html

While building small initially is an important consideration, I would definitely include those features that are important to me.  That includes the ability to use home-grown produce - so food storage and processing space matters to me.  Of course, you can also design in such a way that you could add on - maybe a tiny kitchen for the first year that expands into a small "great room" could become a harvest kitchen, laundry/pantry/food storage area the next year or so?  As for appliances and tools - no reason why you couldn't try to buy used compact appliances and then sell them later when/if you decide to expand.

Sue Evans

In an attempt to plan the smallest cob house possible, per the advice of the cob-building books I have, I am having trouble with the design. Most, if not all the houses that I see, both online and off, don't have a bathroom or a place for a washer/dryer, much less a refrigerator. Any resource suggestions?