[Cob] thatch roof vs metal roof

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 21:46:55 CST 2003

It might be worse than that, depending on roof pitch.  In any case the
materials for the roof for my barn (roughly 500 square feet under roof, as
opposed to surface area of the roof proper), was somewhere around $400, I
think.  And the local lumberyard delivered it in about a week.  Barn red
steel roofing.

BTW I've been told not to buy metal roofing from the building supply
superstores, that they keep too much on hand, and it may get bent and
knocked around.  And had it been much bigger, Tim wouldn't have put it on,
but I'd have gotten to call in the roofers, who might have done at least as
good a job in a quarter of the time.

Framing for the two methods is not too far off from the same.

Did Native Americans in your area use thatch?  If so, what, I wonder.

A 500 sq ft house, would take about 200 panels, costing $4600 plus shipping.
For me in the NW, (ships from FL) that costs $350-ish.

Anyone know how that compares to metal roofing costs?
While I don't think you can do any rain water catch from the thatch roof,
you don't need any other roofing materials besides the supports. You can
leave it exposed on the inside - I think it looks lovely.

jill