[Cob] Land search...pressed earth blocks vs. cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 09:36:58 CST 2003

Thanks.  You're right.  Not the end of the world to buy a used hand
block-maker and then change your mind, but, one of those new-truck priced
ones?
Lance wrote (snipped)

I would not recommend buying any kind of block making machine until you are
sure it will work with your soil.

After I'd done a three layers of cob I was concerned that each layer was
taking too long to dry but I've now developed a mixture of soil, sawdust,
cement and lime which makes good blocks and even better mortar between
blocks.  The cement and lime overcome shrinkage  and are firm enough to
support another rise within 24 hours.  I'm confident this mix will be ideal
for making my house walls.

Cheers

Lance