[Cob] cob around wood stove

Mike Swink mswink77 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 14:15:40 CST 2003

Too labor intensive unless money is no object.
Tom ANd Wincie Nalls were like the nearings of the south.
They had a double door opening on the side of thier house where Tom would
use his tractor with a lift to bring in a pallet of wood that had been
stored in a shelter during the summer. Since the pallet was in side it was
easy to unload and was on the back side of his fireplace. Which he had
placed a door. This kept the living room clean. Note he would take his
tractor and empty pallets to where he fell his trees so that the logs were
only stacked once.

I would like to have a shelter where wood would be unloaded at one end. And
at the end next to the house a earthern insulated cob wall built around one
of the outdoor stoves that run pipe of hot air to home. And heats water for
the house also.

I also would run pipe to shop etc. Note one load perday might be all that is
needed for most homes. The fan is guided by wall thermostat so house does
not over heat.
No fire problems.

On the other hand mother earth news showed how to construct a russian
fireplace where air is directed to flow through out inner chambers to build
up the heat reather than let it escape of the chimmney. But the hot air from
a outside unit can do the same thing by passing through floor or walls.

my five cents. swink

If you listen to me and every one else, you will have no time to build. And
will no doubt be so worried of the zone police that you will back out.

Better to think through one design. Once it is understood at least almost
from start to finish. I have found this is when I start. Stick with the
orginal plan. And consider then just take the attitude this is just your
first cob.

When I showed others how to build furniture . I told them to attempt
anything. If it was a chair and ended up with just three legs make it with
four on the next one.

I never built something new know how it all would come together but as I
progressed it became clear what to do. I really liked the book "The
Hand-Sculpted House" for it showed those who think about it. And those who
do it. You can do this one step at a time.

My oldest sister stared in shock when she got her new cell phone. and BIG
MANUEL. When I got her to just take one step at a time. Like how to
activate. Then how to place a call. One step at a time instead of reading
the entire the manuel.

There is allways a dark cloud that threatens with rain. Or some possible
zoneing person comeing. Or a highway that cuts right through our land. But
that is life.

Knowledge and experience of building this before you children is priceless.
I love the photo of the mother and child stomping with thier feet the straw
and clay.