[Cob] composting toilet?

Darin Lang darin at doolang.com
Mon Nov 3 20:58:33 CST 2003

I use a 5 gallon bucket and sawdust. It works great. I put a toliet lid
on the 5 gallon bucket, you could build a platform, but I am happy with
the lid. It is odorloss, as long as you cover your dookie with sawdust
and empty it when about 3/4 full. I keep at least a second bucket handy
then put the lid on it when it is full. That way i can take it out to
the compost pile at my convenience. I throw all organic matter in there
too unless it is going to the chickens. Just keep it covered with
sawdust and there is no odor and no flies etc. It is so odorless, I keep
one right next to my desk in the office so I can keep working rather
than going up to the other bathroom. The two of us fill up a bucket,
including our food scraps, in 4 to 5 days. If you start to smell it,
just add more sawdust.

This is the simplest, easiest and cheapest method and it makes great
compost for the garden. Too combat the buildup of staining in the
bucket, leave it out in the sunlight for the day every now and then. The
odor when dumping the compost is surprisingly mild, the sawdust tempers
it and it has already begun to break down. Again though, cover with
straw or sawdust, to keep critters, flies and odors away. Rinse the
bucket and add that to the always thirsty compost pile too.

the best reference book is The Humanure Handbook by Joe Jenkins
http://jenkinspublishing.com/

Darin

Jilly wrote:

http://www.cetsolar.com/sunmarhome.htm

Does anyone here currently use a composting toilet such as these in
their cob home? What do you think?