[Cob] hanging pictures and decorations on cob

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Wed Nov 5 12:49:04 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:42:12PM -0500, Everhart, Gabe wrote:
> How hard (and practical) is it to nail into a finished cob wall?

Hard!

> I'm thinking in terms of hanging pictures and decorations, and would
> the *albeit* small nails do damage to the cob?  I'm seeing large
> chunks of cob flying everywhere every time you go to hammer - and
> once you get a nail into the wall, how secure would it be?  I would
> imagine if you really thought ahead, you could embed something in
> the wall as you're laying the cob, but who has THAT kind of
> foresight?

I put deadmen in random useful spots as I'm building up a wall.  Then,
if I don't need them, saw them off and plaster over them.

So I don't have more foresight, but I make up for it with redundancy :)

You can also treat it like a concrete wall and use a drill with a masonry bit,
and hammer in an anchor for a screw.

				-Clint