[Cob] cob and cement

goshawk goshawk at gnat3.gnat.net
Thu Nov 6 10:29:39 CST 2003

It was more that cement plaster or stucco is a problem for
cob. What can happen is that it can trap moisture inside the
wall which is not good for cob. Like many things in life, it
a risk factor not an absolute. Lime is preferred because it
can breath and allow trapped moisture to escape better.

I have found that a mud plaster over cement works great! Mud
addhears quite well to cement. Why you ask? I had a really
rough wall that had cement plaster on it. I smoothed it out
with a mud plaster, then limed over the mud and it looked
great.

Pat Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com

----- Original Message Follows -----