[Cob] Cob, Plate, log joists and rafters

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:03:27 CST 2003

Think about some sort of plate on top of your cob wall as well, by the way.
It's in the books. It evens out the load, and might prevent some of the
rafters from wearing little ditches in the cob during high winds.

You MIGHT get the kind of uniformity you need to just nail floor or roofing
to log joists, IF you had a big monoculture loblolly (in the East) pine
plantation on your land so you could pick and choose your logs for size,
straightness and uniformity of taper so your floor, or roof surface would be
flat.  But in a young mixed hardwood forest like I have?  No, no. The trees
are not straight enough, there's not enough uniformity in size or taper to
be able to do that.  And different species are going to shrink differently
as they dry.  AND you're a lot more likely to be able to afford young mixed
hardwood woods than you are a nearly mature pine plantation.

Also consider:  how do you plan to get these logs up?  Tim used a boom pole
on the tractor for a lot of them when he was just standing them on a
foundation.  You're talking about lifting them 8-12 feet in the air.  It can
be done, a bunch of different ways, but the idea needs to be considered.

I was going to ask about drying, but if they are cut at the beginning of
your process, your logs probably will dry before the wall is finished.  Dry
logs weigh a LOT less than green.  And they've already done their shrinking.
Jilly wrote:

I thought that once I build up the cob wall, I would have to place some sort
of support beam (log from land site preferably) across the top.

Say, one down the middle of the "house" and then every so many inches
thereafter to cover one half of the downstairs (intentions here are for a
loft sleeping area). On top of that, I place my floorboards, going in
another direction.

For the roof, I do the same, only I cover the entire span of the house. Then
I layer my insulation, roof support and so on. Right?

The thing is, I didn't want to look up to the boards. Exposing the log is
okay, but not all those floor boards. I think it would take away from the
beautiful cob walls.

That site was just to show the ceiling plastered, but the logs exposed.
Never mind their building process, I think it was a log home site. I just
want the cob.

jilly