[Cob] hybrid, bags or straw..

Scott Van Kirk scott at mho.com
Fri Nov 7 12:19:04 CST 2003

Earth bags are usually filled with UNstabilized earth.  They go up very
quickly and form a very solid wall.  The earth in the bags compresses and
becomes quite hard.  Because there is no mixing of the dirt, no straw, and
no waiting, bags are considerably quicker to build with than cob. Just fill
the bag, tamp it down and go on to the next one. As you noted, you do need
to put a plaster on the outside of them, especially if you use some sort of
plastic bags.  Plastic bags degrade in sunlight, but last indefinitely if
coated with an earthen plaster.  One of the cool things people have been
doing with earthbags is making earthbag domes.  This way, you can use
earthbags for the entire building.  Check around on the web, there are some
good sites which show this.  Some even have plans you can buy for small
earthbag homes.

As a side note, some people use bags filled with gravel for the first few
rows to prevent water from wicking up into the wall.  Many people advocate
the use of earthbags as a foundation for straw bale buildings.   I would
talk with an engineer or someone with experience with this before going
this way though.

The only advantage I can think of for cob is that you wouldn't need to find
a source for your earth bags (  such as misprinted poly rice bags  ).  I
guess the purists might object to having plastic in their walls as well.

As for straw bale vs other systems.  Straw bales go up a LOT quicker than
cob or earth bags.  They have some thermal mass because of the plasters on
either side but they are mostly insulative. Straw bales do need to be kept
away from moisture so they would require a foundation with some sort of
moisture barrier.  You also have to pay more attention to the finishing
detailing of doors and windows with straw.  Those are the places where most
bale walls run into trouble.  There are many people out there who could
explain how to finish windows and doors properly.  Its not hard.

The people I have known who have done hybrid systems typically use a high
mass wall like cob or packed straw clay on the south and straw bale on the
north, east and west.  I have also seen people who make cob/straw bale
hybrids where they use bales on the flat sections of the walls and just cob
around the bales.  This seems to have promise.

-Scott