[Cob] hybrid bales bags with cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 08:21:01 CST 2003

I need to re-read my copy of the Hand Sculpted House, but heck, it's time.
It's amazing what leaps out at one about the fifth go-through, especially
with lots of study and thinking in between.  I remember it as being pretty
useful on the subject of hybrid.

Yes, straw bale walls DO squish, even with non-loadbearing walls.  The "old
way" of allowing for that was to let them sit for a month, by which time it
was assumed that they would have settled down--literally.  Keeping them dry
for that time was sometimes a bit of a trick.  This was only 10-15 years
ago.  Now, in the interests of moving along, and keeping the bales dry, one
normally pre-stresses them.  There are probably a handful of ways to connect
the two--bamboo poles inside the walls comes to mind.

If I were doing a hybrid, I'd probably start with the straw-bale, come
around the corners at least the bale-and-a-half minimum, pre-stress it and
then switch.  Considering buttresses in any medium--internal loadbearing
walls in stick-built, for instance, is not a bad idea.

I have no feeling for earth-bags--yet, anyway. But one intriguing thing is
that proponents claim that they are nearly perfect put-up-in-a-hurry
emergency shelters after a tornado that has left lots of small urbanite
around.  They're talking about small DOMES where you don't have to change
building materials in mid-course to put on a roof.   I keep thinking that
the filled bags are (bag is? since sometimes one just keeps filling on the
wall) ROUND, but they're not really--more like bags of rice, strangely
enough.

Oh I DO have the book, The Hand-Sculpted House.
That is where I first was given the impression to use straw-bale or hybrid
system.

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!