[Cob] hybrid bales bags

Scott Van Kirk scott at mho.com
Sat Nov 8 14:19:20 CST 2003

You will definitely want to precompress your bales.  This strengthens your
walls, stiffens them and makes them easier to plaster. Straw bales are very
strong and perfectly capable of bearing the load of the roof when designed
correctly.  The strength of bales is well documented.  You should look at
"The Last Straw" journal.  They have a lot of good articles about this.  As
far as getting the load to distribute evenly between the cob and the
strawbales,I'm not sure about this.  It seems to me, that you would want to
build the straw a little higher than the cob, compress it to the same
height as the cob and then plaster the straw.  As I understand it,the
plaster then becomes the loadbearing point of the walls and the bales will
not compress further. If you go this route, definitely get someone with
some experience to help you out.

-Scott