[Cob] hybrid techniques - medium long

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Sat Nov 8 10:02:16 CST 2003

I  find it hard to accept the statement that many of the "well built" strawbale/cob hybrids are bound to an early demise as are the current strawbale structures. I've actually seen some mediocre ones that appear to have good possibilities......AS with what the Brits say about Cob I think the foundation and roof play an enormous part in the longevity and integrity of these 'alternative' wall systems (or loss of integrity).

It is true that structural integrity comes a lot with monolithic cob walls versus stacked adobe bricks or bags but wonder if this concern would be more appropriate for earthquake prone areas?

The technical problem with building out of straight Cob is one of insulation (not even to mention the social constraint of hugh amounts of labor and time), IMO and people are constantly trying to work on that one....if it's high in mass (like stone is for instance) then the continous cold (or heat), of a (Wisconsin) season, will embody itself in your wall, causing the need for enormous amounts of heat to be added from the inside (if Darels on the list -flame away). Solar gain can only be maintained if the heat is kept INSIDE after heating up (therefore a superinsulated solar home), not bled out through cold walls...so I guess what I'm saying is different earthen solutions for different climates?

Earthen related techniques:
Cobwood, strawbale, strawclay, papercob, wattle/daub, or post/beam w/infill of one of these techniques - all have pluses and minuses, but can work with a limited knowledge. And don't necessarily need an enormous amount of highly technical building techniques (like stick frame does....). With that said I think it's nice to gather as much info as you can before starting your own structure and don't take any one particular viewpoint as gospel (me, Ianto, anyone) but knowledge will help you noe reinvent the wheel.

With all that said I think LIMITED use of trees, harvested responsibly, is one of the most renewable building materials and can be incorporated with a lot of these earthen building techniques.....

Freedom for everyone!

Marlin Nissen

www.outtathebox.org
--
     Marlin Nissen
   - Outta The Box-
  lightearth at onebox.com
(608) 213-9405  Cell/voicemail

"Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love." -- MLK