[Cob] Pier foundation?

Brad Calvert umbrella at netspace.net.au
Wed Nov 12 05:45:09 CST 2003

Why not the walls on a concrete (steel reinforced) trench footing, stepped
along the slopes.

If you're building along the contour you run the risk of the building
becoming a dam wall and water accumulating uphill.  If you build
perpendicular to the contours (ie. up/down the hill) maybe some kind of
split-level design, but it would have plenty of steps with that 1:4
gradient.

It does sound rather steep to me, I guess it all depends how far you plan to
deviate from the natural slope.  A long narrow building following a countour
might be an idea, but drainage could be the problem.

I'd be interested to know about cob building on slopes.