[Cob] Pier foundation?

Paul pauln at ravenisle.com
Tue Nov 11 23:57:40 CST 2003

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of anyone using a pier foundation for a cob building?  I'm going to be building on a slope that falls about 5 feet for every 20 feet of distance and I am having trouble designing the house with the constraint that the floors need to be on the ground (or a concrete slab - which I don't want to do).  It would seem to me that cob would be too heavy for concrete piers, unless the piers were very close together.  Also, I'm going to be pouring an adobe floor, so that makes a heavy building even heavier.

Paul