[Cob] Sand / hybrids

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Tue Nov 11 23:09:32 CST 2003

I've seen sand/finds for Cob mixing that were too coarse for all but the most calloused of feet, suppose that this would be a good application for a mortar mixer or such thing....also have used the tarp itself to step on instead of putting the feet right into the mix, lift the corner of the tarp and step on the plastic and smear and push the stuff underneath the folded end of the tarp. Often this is because of cold feet more then rough sand I suppose.

I want to second what Taylor Publishing was saying about using hybrid materials with earthen construction and gaining speed and insulation value. Pure "cob" is wonderful, strong, massive etc. but requires a large effort to mix in any quantity, more then most people would put up with for an entire building.

If the massiveness is not a neccessity then mixing say 1/4 the amount (mixed with filler for the rest) to gain the same wall coverage will encourage more buildings to actually get built and if you get more insulation in the process (paper, wood chips) - all the better!

We love earthen buildings !
Nous aimons les bâtiments de terre !
¡Amamos edificios de tierra!
Wir lieben tönerne Gebäude!
Amiamo le costruzioni di terra!
私達は土製の建物を愛する!

www.outtathebox.org
--

     Marlin Nissen
   - Outta The Box-
  lightearth at onebox.com
(608) 213-9405  Cell/voicemail

"Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love." -- MLK