[Cob] Hybrids, long

jenny walker jwalker at magma.ca
Wed Nov 12 21:40:59 CST 2003

Hello Jonathon, thanks for the info. just wondering, did you push the bales
in after the cob walls were built? or were the bales in place then cobbed
over? Are the bales continuous in the walls or at some point did you cob
over the top of them then continue the wall above (perhaps that constitutes
a thermal break though). Also wondering how you kept the bales from the
elements, i.e. moisture during the building process. Was this infill for a
stick frame or are these load-bearing walls?

Thanks!

jenny walker

Jonathon wrote...

SNIP

> The second structure is a cob strawbale hybrid.  We have sandwiched rice straw
> bales between an exterior and an interior wall of cob.  The exterior is about
> 4 to 2 inches thick while the interior is thicker, 4-6 inches.  As the cob
> dries and shrinks it squeezes the bales.  This combo allows for the best of
> both worlds: structural strength and insulation.
SNIP