[Cob] cob and northern climates

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:01:43 CST 2003

   cat here. On my farm there are many areas that are red clay under less
   than 8" of mix, also gray and in a few places I have come across
   white. Good clay when wet and kneaded and rolled will bend over your
   finger with no cracking. This is good for pottery ect. The kneading is
   to consolidate the material and push out the water. Clay is
   interesting in that it lets go of water easily. Around here one can
   not build a pond unless you have a good clay base that seals the
   geography to hold the water.  This may sound confusing but it is easy
   to understand as you work with clay.  When you propose to build and
   live in a cob structure you will be living in a big earthen ware
   Jar!  The compression is essential for the structural integrity.  The
   more compression the less water and air and the more solid the form.
   This is why one pounds clay before using it for sculpture.  Make some
   cob and leave it out in the elements this winter and see what you have
   in the spring.  A few different mixes, put a roof on a few.  They can
   be small maybe 1' X 1'.  There is something I noticed about veteran
   cobbers.  Beautiful legs!!!  strong, well muscled, healthy skin, a
   little side benefit from the exercise as well as the therapeutic
   properties of clay!
   for the good of all Cat