[Cob] cob and northern climates

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:02:16 CST 2003

   Cat here.  I have a farm in the north west part of West Virginia.
   for the good of all C.
   >From: "Quinn"
   >To: "Yun Que"
   >Subject: Re: [Cob] cob and northern climates
   >Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:23:17 -0500
   >
   >Cat, you don't say where you are... (for that matter, neither did
   Lyndsay) It would help us all to have some clarification when you
   (all) describe the geography/conditions, about where it is located.

   >thanks,
   >Quinn

   The
   > > more compression the less water and air and the more solid the
   form.
   > > This is why one pounds clay before using it for sculpture. Make
   some
   > > cob and leave it out in the elements this winter and see what you
   have
   > > in the spring. A few different mixes, put a roof on a few. They
   can
   > > be small maybe 1' X 1'. There is something I noticed about veteran
   > > cobbers. Beautiful legs!!! strong, well muscled, healthy skin, a
   > > little side benefit from the exercise as well as the therapeutic
   > > properties of clay!
   > > for the good of all Cat
   > > >From: "Lyndsay Elliott"
   > > >To: Coblist at deatech.com
   > > >Subject: [Cob] cob and northern climates
   > > >Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:24:56 +0000
   > > >

   > > > Dear Coblist,
   > > >
   > > > I am very interested in cob and have done much reading on the
   > > internet
   > > > but I have found little information about building with cob in
   > > > northern climats. Is cob practical for this climate? Also books
   on
   > > > the subject are difficult for me to get a hold of this far
   north.

   > > > Moisture issues. How does one contend with snow and keeping
   exterior
   > > > walls from eroding? Will a lime exterior finish be able to cope
   with
   > > > about 3 feet of snow sitting against it all winter? Will
   exterior
   > > need
   > > > to be replastered every spring?
   > > >
   > > > How much does cob contract? climate here varies from 90F-0F.
   > > >
   > > > I have determined that plain cob walls would be very cold in
   winter,
   > > > but I am wary about strawbale hybrids after reading that they
   may
   > > only
   > > > last up to 20-30 years. Also there seem to be moisture concerns
   with
   > > > strawbales. Snowmelt makes the ground here very wet, i read that
   > > > stone in the walls below the straw will keep it from whicking up
   > > > moisture but I am concerned that this would cool the house too
   much
   > > > during the winter.

   [1]Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.*
   * Prices may vary by service area