[Cob] hand protection

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 20 00:12:38 CST 2003

Some have warned of the dangers of lime on skin and in lungs.

I'm very careful to be upwind when I'm getting lime and cement out of bags
but I don't worry about my hands for minor jobs as I seem to have selected
the right parents.  My skin gets a bit rough but recovers in a day or two.

When I am washing up I use a product that auto workers use to remove grease
from their hands (it dissolves the grease and makes the dirt water
soluable).   It also works well for removing paint.  I think there is
lanolin in it and is does a good job of reversing the effect of the
lime.  I don't know what this stuff is called in the US.   There are
several brands available here and there are huge price differences between
them.

I hope I'm wasting bandwidth with this lotion idea but just in case...

Lance

P.S. If you have skin like my wife has then you really do need to heed the
warnings about lime and do not do as I do.