[Cob] newbie roofing question and one of my own

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 09:40:21 CST 2003

Current thinking on wrapping structures with burlap (hessian), chicken wire
or some other kind of mesh seems to be to do it only where the dissimilar
materials meet.  And even then you may get some cracking.  Michael Smith's
book (Cobber's Companion) has some information on this, probably so do all
the others, I just haven't looked at them recently.

I'm thinking quite separate poles for my house.  A foot or so outside sounds
really nice--not much unsupported OVERHANG, but plenty of protection for the
walls--but I'm assured that it's going to be harder to build that way.  (I'm
open to ideas here!).

Andrea asks:

I'm new to the list (have been in lurk mode for a couple of weeks) and I was
wondering if anyone had done cob infill walls?  My plan was to buy a shed
(12 x 15 mtrs) frame and roof and have it put up on a slab then build cob
walls.  Has any one done this?  Succesfully or otherwise?  Would the
uprights - square metal poles - have to be wrapped in hessian like a
strawbale needs when being infilled?