[Cob] cob sink

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 08:49:50 CST 2003

Bummer.  I was hoping that that change in color was to a mix with lime
added. It was, but there was also portland cement.  I still wouldn't want to
cut on it, but for other reasons.

Wood is a good material for water tanks also wine and whiskey barrels--baths
and hot tubs if you keep them filled.  But you can easily have troubles with
those pretty wood ice cream makers because wood goes through wet/expand
dry/contract cycles.  I think the directions for them say to soak the wood
in water at least overnight before you use them, or if you haven't used them
for a good long time.  Otherwise they LEAK LIKE MAD!  Don't want this in a
sink, particularly one where water might drip (or pour!) onto your cob.  The
only possible exception I can think of offhand might be a huge burl--with
tight and twisty grain--that you could carve into a sink, and even that
might be better in a sink to wash you hands under running water in, not one
where you filled it to wash your dishes.

There are alternatives--fired clay, glass, carved stone--might even find a
piece of stone naturally shaped, mosaics with hydraulic lime (unfortunately
mostly imported), might be able to use a massive piece of urbanite the way
you do stone, it looks like Tony Wrench used at least one (almost certainly
recycled) stainless steel sink in his aggressively Low Impact round home.

Tim Ely wrote:
I emailed the web site and was told the sink was
actually made of cement.  Sorry.  What would be wrong
with a wood sink? As long as it is ecologically
harvested.
tim

>From the hottest toys to tips on keeping fit this winter, you’ll find a
range of helpful holiday info here.