[Cob] Class K in Mendocino County

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:33:45 CST 2003

I don't know what Class K is.

But how a piece of land is zoned is pretty important.  My house in Nashville
was in an Industrial zone area, which meant that after it burned the lot was
pretty worthless, unless I gathered together with all of my neighbors and
together we sold to someone wanting to put up a smallish factory.  I MIGHT
have been able to rebuild back within the old foundation's footprint.  No
particular desire to, mind you.

Notice that "MIGHT" up there.  I would have had to go before the zoning
board and ask for a variance there.   If the land you want to buy is not
already zoned "class K" then you would get to do the same thing, with or
without the support of your neighbors, who, if it is like Nashville, would
be notified that you were petitioning for a variance.  If you are trying to
stay under the radar, not something your really want to do.  Buying land
already zoned that way--but be sure that it is not under some weird thing
that only applies to the person who originally applied for the class K
designation--would keep you less visible.

Scott wrote:
I was reading up on Mendocino County's building codes on their website
(http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/planning/PermitPlace/PermitPlace1.htm).  I
stumbled upon this passage...I was wondering if anyone knew about Class K?
It appears to vaguely allow for natural building, but I'm not sure if I'm
interpreting it correctly.  If it is, what does it mean that the property
has to be zoned for Class K?

The passage:
What is Class K?

Class K is a relaxed construction standard available to owner-built rural
dwellings and appurtenant structures intended ".to allow and facilitate the
use of alternatives to the specifications prescribed by the Uniform
technical codes to the extent that a reasonable degree of health and safety
is provided." To qualify, the property must be zoned for a one acre minimum
Class K or Uniform Building Code structure.