[Cob] Class K in California

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 11:16:05 CST 2003

Scott,
Amanda,

Class K is a building code.  It exists in Mendocino, Sonoma & Humboldt
counties in California and is essentially a special case "owner / builder"
code which allows a lessening of the normal UBC ( soon to be IBC ) building
cobe.  It allows, among other things, the use of recycled building materials
and a lessening of energy conservation requirements if wood heat is used.

The Class K position on cob is( so far as I know) that cob is allowed if the
plans are signed by either an architect or engineer.  I was able to assist
Katie Jean in getting a building permit for her cob house near Willits under
the Class K code.

Class K came to be in California in the 1980's via legislation by the
California State Assembly,  This was the result of political action by a
group of rural homeowners in Mendocino County who were red tagged in mass in
a series of enforcement "raids" driven by the rather foolish guy who was
then the head of the building department.  But that's another story.

Normally Class K is only applicable for land parcels of a specified acherage
minimum sizes and certain zoning classifications.  This varies with each
county & I believe there are appeal processes for these limits.

Class K is not a zoning classification.

john fordice