[Cob] Water colour- Rice Hull Ash

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 27 19:59:57 CST 2003

Don't know why this didn't make it to the list the other day:

Tung oil is good for finishing, with similar properties to linseed oil (also a drying oil) but it does not yellow.  Don't know how pricey, relative.  Carnuba wax can be got at the hardware store (perhaps not as pricey as the art supply store?), at least here in GA.

Also-- rice hull ash is used in other parts of the world to filter water, the way charcoal is used- only cheaper and more easily renewed.

If anyone tries tung oil on cob, I'd love to hear about the results.

Quinn

<snip> One possible solution for safe coating over the watercolor on already
> cured walls may be a layer of wood wax. I bought a can of MinWax
> furniture wax, and using a soft cloth I applied over a backsplash area
> of my clay painted sheetrock.  the clay paint turned dark, then when the
> wax dried it was back to the same color, and water splashing from the
> sink just beads up and does not sink into the plaster.

<snip>>