[Cob] Question on Planning a Cob Building

ddenmark ddenmark at greentreearts.com
Tue Dec 9 19:23:50 CST 2003

Hi,
I am new to the list. I have read the first 6 months or so and also this years archives to get up to speed.

I have also order The Hand Sculpted House and spent a lot of time exploring the cob sites in the net.

My question is:
What would be the best or at least a good source of information (books, websites, other?) on the planning stages for building with cob.  Not just the site choice and orientation.

I am talking about the details of a building.  So that everything is planned for.  For example, how to figure out how many nooks and how much space they need to offer to be able to house a person's books or whatever else they may have.  How much built in storage/shelves, how many outlets, and other things that could be tailored for the individual and built into the structure.

I currently plan to build a small cob structure to house my pottery studio.  I think that since building with cob is like a giant pottery/ceramics project it is a fitting first building.  I hope to start the actual building in the spring 2004.  I currently enjoying sketching as I begin to lay out the floor plans for a future home.

Thanks so much for being a valuable information source.
Deborah in NC