[Cob] Question on Planning a Cob Building

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 09:50:00 CST 2003

   Cat here. make your model in clay to scale and modify it over the
   winter.  Books measure them and add appropreate space to house them.
   Unless you like climbing ladders don't stack any higher than you can
   reach and see.  make little scale models of your furniture and tools
   and place them in the model to see if you have space to move!  Check
   out stairs that are storage ( Japan) A nice loft can make a great cozy
   library with a big round window cove and seat to curl up in! Consider
   a seperate Kiln cob with a breezway connection ( the breezway put in
   after you are insured.  Your fire insurence will be cheaper if your
   kilns are not attached to the house/studio.
   for the good of all C.
   >From: "ddenmark" >To: >Subject: [Cob] Question on Planning a Cob
   Building >Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:23:50 -0500 > >Hi, >I am new to the
   list. I have read the first 6 months or so and also this years
   archives to get up to speed. > >I have also order The Hand Sculpted
   House and spent a lot of time exploring the cob sites in the net. >
   >My question is: >What would be the best or at least a good source of
   information (books, websites, other?) on the planning stages for
   building with cob. Not just the site choice and orientation. > >I am
   talking about the details of a building. So that everything is planned
   for. For example, how to figure out how many nooks and how much space
   they need to offer to be able to house a person's books or whatever
   else they may have. How much built in storage/shelves, how many
   outlets, and other things that could be tailored for the individual
   and built into the structure. > >I currently plan to build a small cob
   structure to house my pottery studio. I think that since building with
   cob is like a giant pottery/ceramics project it is a fitting first
   building. I hope to start the actual building in the spring 2004. I
   currently enjoying sketching as I begin to lay out the floor plans for
   a future home. > >Thanks so much for being a valuable information
   source. >Deborah in NC