[Cob] COB: Long, long list of earthen building links.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:48:42 CST 2003

durn, I forwarded it to myself at this address with italics and underlines
and so on. It was easier to read that way.

"earthen" as in "earthen buildings," "earthen floors" is another good word
to use in a search.  Random order, although I've tried to put the schools
and workshops at the beginning.  I opened all the links today, removed some
of the broken ones from my lists.

This isn't all I've got in fact most of the picture stuff is still to come.

Building schools and workshops

http://www.cpros.com/~sequoia/
Everybody's got the Groundworks site, don't they?
http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage/cob-workshop.html
>From Shannon Dealy, I do believe.  Not much in the way of pictures.
http://www.cobworks.com/instructors.htm
Cobworks.
http://www.housealive.org/index.htm
Coenraad Rogmans lists his courses here--picture of happy people cobbing on
that page.  Interior view if you click on "contact us."
http://www.kleiwerks.com/
Janell Kapoor's group out of North Carolina.  They work a lot in Thailand.
Subject of a "but they're so expensive!" thread on the coblist.  They would
probably defend the charge by saying that letting people from the first
world pay full price means that people from developing countries can attend
easily.
http://sgnb.com/
another building school, this one in California.   Pictures if you click on
"showing."
http://www.cordwoodmasonry.com
Rob Roy's site, he's known for bermed or partially buried houses, and books
(maybe out of print) on how to build without a mortgage. And there's a
picture page.

The rest of the lot. not all of it by a long stretch.

http://www.impulse.co.jp/fuken.htm
Chinese Earthen forts from a couple of centuries ago.  Text is probably in
Japanese, since the site is from Japan.  (from D.H.)  they look as though
they might have been made by some sort of slip-form process, now seem to be
used as apartments.

http://www.foxmaple.com/proclay.html
An article on light clay.  For buildings with cob exteriors, this would be
useful for second story walls and interior walls.

http://www.naturalbuilder.com
no names available on who they are.  They do swear that they will be
offering workshops in 2004.  Anybody know anything about their books?
http://www.caneloproject.com/pages/workshops/clayartistry.html
I think Canelo is associated with straw-bale reinventors, maybe the Steens.
They have a news letter, courses, including this one with lots of pretty
pictures on the page.  They also put out a gorgeous calendar--Charmaine
Taylor had last years.

http://www.ihbc.org.uk/Cob_Paper/page2.html
earth building in England, fast and slow, with and without forms (shutters
if you're British)  diagrams, not photos.

http://terre.grenoble.archi.fr/
Important general site, particularly if your French is pretty good.
May be more concerned with rammed earth than cob.  Couple of pretty pictures
on this page (projects--projets--if you just get to a general page.

http://www.dab.uts.edu.au/ebi/index.php?Itemid=1
Occasional new articles from this Australian University site.  A lot of it
seems to be concerned with adobe, for instance, a two-part article on
testing of concrete reinforced blocks from Botswana.

http://www.mortarsprayer.com/
need a mortar sprayer?  since it will spray lime and papercrete, you might.

http://www.rmrc.org/
including John Hait and PAHS--including first chapter of the book.  Also
pictures of the PAHS dome.

http://www.earthensun.com/index.php?pid=home
The Knapps are members of the coblist.  Also check out the whole strawbale
webring--likely, if my experience with webrings is normal, to have lots of
broken links.  Not all strawbale.
http://f.webring.com/hub?ring=strawbale

http://www.impulse.co.jp/fuken.htm
Chinese Earthen forts from a couple of centuries ago.  Text is probably in
Japanese, since the site is from Japan.  (from D.H.)  they look as though
they might have been made by some sort of slip-form process, now seem to be
used as apartments.

http://www.foxmaple.com/proclay.html
An article on light clay.  For buildings with cob exteriors, this would be
useful for second story walls and interior walls.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/cru/kd01/orange/bwes-04.asp
I haven't found pictures here, but there are lots and lots of
arguments--from a government publication, no less--on why your friends
should not laugh at you for choosing earthen building.

http://www.gtz.de/basin/publications/books/ManualMinke.pdf
A really important book. From DH.

http://www.dsaarch.com/Projects.htm
Berkely California architects.  Worked on a bunch of straw bale projects,
and the basic design for the Dancing Rabbit Eco-Village in Missouri.

http://www.dancingrabbit.org/
Lovely web site.  Their natural building articles are good because they are
well written accounts of how and why they did it.  I've sent and posted the
earthen floor article many times.

http://naturalbuilder.org
Phil Hawn's group in Western North Carolina.  He posts information regularly
to the list.  And his oven picture on the home page is amazing.

http://www2.whidbey.com/lighthook/sbcost.htm
Excellent article on exactly why natural building still costs so much, with
a breakdown on what gets spent where.  The house they did the breakdown with
had more spent on PAINT than on the straw bales.
http://www2.whidbey.com/lighthook/sbparts.htm
If you go up a level you get this, including a short discussion of embodied
energy.

http://www.shelterpub.com/
Lloyd Kahn's site.  His classic 1973 book Shelter was and continues to be an
inspiration to lots of people.  And where you can order reprints of the Dan
Beard Shacks and Shanties, read articles about septic tanks--or order the
manual, and learn why he hates domes--now

Cell phone ‘switch’ rules are taking effect — find out more here.
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx