[Cob] Cob vs Adobe Question (was Long, long list of earthen building links.)

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 18:07:20 CST 2003

The answers to all three might be "Cob." Although there are certainly
centuries old versions of both around.  Rammed earth of one sort or another
too.  and I'd expect proponents of some of the others to weigh in here.

The straw is designed to 1) add some strength because of the long fibers.
2) add some insulation because it's NOT earth.  As for 3) there may be more
skill in putting up dry adobe block than in putting up rolls of cob that can
be manipulated some after they go on the wall.

The Minke is good about siting a building on a steep slope, even if you are
not building in a seismic zone.
Deborah asks:
My question for the list is:
Comparing adobe brick to cob,
which is
1-stronger/more stable/heavier load bearing
2-warmer/higher R value (I understand that the thicker the wall the higher
the Thermal Mass)
3-easier to construct for someone with no experience (but I am a potter so
understand from that angle)

Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year — six months
@$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup