[Cob] home design

jenny walker jwalker at magma.ca
Sat Dec 13 19:38:46 CST 2003

-- Hi out there,
I found an great house design in an unusual place. I got 'The Seven Silly
Eaters' by Mary Ann Hoberman (Browndeer Press, 1997) from the library for my
kids. The story revolves around a house that is featured in the artwork (by
Marla Frazee) on nearly every page and from many different angles. Even
though it's a kids' book, the illustrations work together so you get a very
good idea of the layout at least of the first floor. I mention it because
I'm sure it would look great in cob, even has a stone kneewall...also,
having read Christopher Alexander's books, I noticed it contains many great
'patterns'....Farmhouse kitchen with alcove, stairs as a stage, sheltering
roof, cascading roofs...and probably more. As a large family is featured in
the illustrations too, its easier to get a feel for living in such a place.

If you go for the rural, gable roofed look, and you're designing away, it
may be worth checking out,

Jenny Walker