[Cob] mud brick Citadel in Bam

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Dec 28 17:15:44 CST 2003

Hello All, I am sure most are aware of the devastating quake in Bam, Iran
which destroyed a 2000+ mud brick citadel..I went out looking for images, and
found this from a personal  photo diary online...the images onTV were so
beautiful it is sad to see it gone now.  But for those in earthquake zones (
like CA)  I am now more aware of why reinforcement to cob walls  may also  be
needed.  John Fordice, can you address this in some way for us as to how to
strengthen cob walls, with or without metal rebar, etc?
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534
707-441-1632

http://www.monkeyview.net/id/601/default/index.vhtml

http://www.monkeyview.net/id/601/default/index.vhtml

Bam Citadel, anywhere from 2000 to 3000 years old, is surprisingly
                  intact. You can walk along the thick walls of the
once-thriving city, climb
                  the watchtower, spy the bazaar and stables structures below,
as well as
                  many dwellings. in fact, many dwellings were in use until
people were
                  removed by govnt mandate.
                  Two things I found very impressive about ancient
architecture of Iran:
                  1) buildings were often built in four parts, and use of the
parts were
                  rotated according to season. the winter section was smaller
and more
                  tightly sealed, easier to heat. the hot weather sections
were strategically
                  placed to avoid the worst of the sun during the active hours
of the day.
                  2)they used windcatchers-cleverly placed holes in the upper
walls and
                  ceiling that would seize the breeze and optimize the
circulation of cooler
                  air.
                  3)ok, three things. the longevity of the buildings.

http://www.monkeyview.net/id/601/default/index.vhtml
at the top of the lookout post.
http://www.monkeyview.net/id/601/default/index.vhtml