[Cob] mud brick Citadel in Bam

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 27 23:48:14 CST 2003

"the Iranian plateau is one of the seismically active areas of the world and frequently suffers destructive and catastrophic earthquakes that cause heavy loss of human life and widespread damage" http://seismo.ethz.ch/gshap/iran/report.html

While it is natural to want to build as safely as possible, particularly in a place of regular seismic activity like California, one has to consider that the Citadel recently destroyed *had* been around for 2000-3000 years.  This is a pretty good record for its mud brick structure in an area notorious for damaging earthquakes.  In fact, I'd say its more than pretty good.

Not to discourage anyone from reinforcement by any means, but if my (dream/future) cob home were to last 3000 years I think I'd be content.  : )

Quinn