[Cob] City Code Evasion Strategy Suggestions??

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 09:39:32 CST 2003

Not at all sure that "fear of codes" is not more debilitating than trying to
comply with them.

Building small is good, but....

maybe not so small that you are forbidden to "live" in the building--with
the threat that it will be demolished if you try--Mike Swink knows someone
who ran into that--out in the middle of nowhere in rural Georgia.

If you have neighbors at least one of them WILL draw codes' attention, even
if they didn't think that the casual conversation with the cousin whose
husband works there counted.  I feuded with one set of neighbors in
Nashville, and I think they had codes on their speed-dial.

There's currently a fairly lively new listserv on the subject of insurance
in "alternative" "ecologically apropriate" "natural" building.  Suggestions
range from "who cares, we built it, we can rebuild it!"  to "let's ditch the
word "alternative" and see if we can find--make?--an insurer who can use
some of the European data for historical houses" to some suggestions
straight out of Jung.

Here, I have no problem getting insurance for my travel trailer.  But I
don't think it came with insurance for people working on my land, and the
insurance guy didn't seem to know how to do that.  Fire is one thing, yes,
we could rebuild.  But not theft, or injury to a visitor.

My guess is that avoiding codes also avoids insurance.  Which might or might
not be what you wanted.

C.M. Hellwinckel writes:

I live within a large eastern cities limits and don't want to fight the
code system to approve a cob house.

so what is the best strategy to keep inquires away...that it is an art
project in progress...that it is an "out building/shed/barn".... that it
is an "off the grid house so therefore doesn't need inspecting???

Any folks out there have any suggestions?