[Cob] Septic permits and Building Codes

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Mon Dec 29 20:17:09 CST 2003

I must clarify that I am interested in full blown off the grid living,
and a conventional septic system may not be the thing I am into.
_____________

Jeanette, you may find you are required to have nothing else BUT a
sepctic system to get permitted.    A septic is off grid, but most
counties everywhere want waste controlled  no matter what.

 YOU may be careful, but trust me, there are some real slobs ou tthere
who don't care where human waste goes.  this is a public safety hazard,
especially if it contaminates streams, other people's drinking water,
farm water, etc...you can see how e-coli could be a problem downstream.

 A builder freind  agreed to build  to code ( he built  a simple SB
house)  on his 35 acres in CO and put in a standard  size required
spectic tank, but planned to not hook it up..just get it inspected as
septic, then use it for rainwater catchement storage.  CO  has some
tough laws now on capturing rainwater on less than 35 acres...no
allowance for kitchen gardens, etc on 5+ acres up to 34 I believe.

It was a clever idea to circumvvent the system , but he and his wife
were EXPERTS in composting humanure, and I had seen what they did here
in N. Calif, for 3 years+, a  vey safe system set up, proper heating of
compost etc.

a septic can be $2000 to 10,000 I believe, so see if you can live with
that, while being able to build "natural" in other areas.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534 707-441-1632
 http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
http://www.eurekareporter.com/Stories/cl-12240302.htm  <<natural
building articles
. ..