[Cob] Septic permits and Building Codes

Marshall Reeves pmarshallreeves at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 05:17:20 CST 2003

I lifve in a Texas county with extremely high clay content in the soil.  The
only acceptable systems are aroebic ones which are similar to a normal septic
system with the exception of having one extra tank that is chlorinated and
then pumped out through sprinkler heads.  It costs about twice the price of a
conventional system (5000.00 in our case) but supposedly the water pumped out
of the sprinklers is safe for surface spraying if you continue your chlorine
dosing.  We also have to be inspected quarterly to make sure that we are
properly maintaining the system.  The annual maintenance (inspections) costs
about 180.00.  The systems are sized and number of sprinkler heads are based
on your water usage.  I'm fairly pleased with the system with the exception
of the additional mowing required to keep my wet areas from turning into a
swamp.
Marshall