Cob with living roof

Renewables at aol.com Renewables at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 20:40:45 CST 1998

Rob Roy uses W. R. Grace's Bituthene waterproofing membrane, which is now
called System 4000. It is a top surface of two layers of cross-laminated black
polyethylene over a 60-mil (1/16 inch) base of sticky rubberized asphalt. The
rolls are three feet wide by 35 feet long, so they cover about 100 square
feet. It is used in conjunction with a thin coating of a compatible primer if
putting it onto a wooden deck.

Rob has used this product on his earth roof since 1980 with great results. He
usually put 4" (two layers of two inch laid cross wise) of rigid insulation, a
layer of HEAVY plastic, two inches of #2 stone, and then 6" - 8" of sods. The
roof drains to the edges of course depending on called out design. The
Bituthene overlaps the drip edge flashing slightly. Instead of using heavy
timbers to retain the earth, Rob uses mossy sods that nit together.

Rarely does his roof drain much water as it absorbs almost all of the rains
(his structures are overbuilt for lots of snow and rain). He has never had to
water the wild flowers on his roof and the evaporation action helps to keep
the roof cool during the summer. A 2 - 3 foot thick snow build up adds greatly
to the roof insulation to keep the place warm in the winter.

I recommend you consult his many books to get the exact details. I think his
designs work very well with cob.

Dave

In a message dated 11/2/98 10:40:44 AM Central Standard Time,