Cob: Re: Light clay

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Fri Jul 30 22:34:04 CDT 1999

Well I'm in the process of moving and I'm even more disorganize than
usual, so I can't refer to my books, but the name begins with an "L"
lienstenstein (I realize that was a horrible attempt)
anyway, The one time I used it this is how I did it:
I took two sheets of plywood and using a sliding frame on each side, I
would take a bale of straw, mix a milk shake type mixture of clay slip
and pour it over the opened bale. This all occurred on a tarp very much
like making cob, only more straw and less  clay (and runnier).
Then I'd fill up the wall space bounded by the two sheets of plywood.
when I got near the top of the plywood (4 ft). I'd move it up 2 ft,
then continuing up the wall. I found there is a limit to how far one
can span before there must be stablizing factor such as a pole in a
pole building. When I first tried this I used it more like a strawbale
wall but had a couple of walls leaning becuase of lack of support. I
added a bit more support (more poles in my case) and it worked fine.

Pat
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk