Cob: Thin walls

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Mon May 8 07:25:52 CDT 2000

In West Africa, Mostly Ghana, but also some in Nigeria and Cameroons as well.
It's been a while (20 years or so years ago) but I spent three years there and I wasn't as focused
on building then as I am now but I don't recall any wattle and daub and from conversations with
my sister and her husband whom spent 10 years over there, I don't think it was used. The clay
was red however, I do recall that.

On 7 May 00, at 6:56, Sarah Kopp wrote:

> Where in Africa?  I have seen the round, spiral actually, homes in the
> Masai Mara of southern Kenya and the walls are very thin but I think it is
> actually wattle and daub.  That is, some kind of woven brush framework
> that is plastered over.  Unfortunately I did not see any under
> construction and my focus was on cooking fuel and deforestation at that
> time, not housing issues.
>
> Sarah
> Tsfat, Israel

Pat Newberry