Cob: White crystals> efflorescence

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon May 22 11:04:19 CDT 2000

Rosemary, sounds like efflorescence..a "blooming" of alkali salts on the
surface due to salts in the concrete blocks, or in the mortar mix, or landing
on the wall during rains, with acid rain being the modern culprit. .
This crystalization takes place when the salts which are soluable  get wet
and travel to the surface.   I will look up in my techie NLA report and see
what it says you can do besides scrubbing.

There is also a bit of information in the All About Lime book, pg 27, whcih
you have Rosemary.

Charmaine  Taylor
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
1-888-441-1632
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms
Visit online where you can buy books & videos anytime!