Cob: rope making fibers and list policies

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun Aug 6 22:02:31 CDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Howard Switzer wrote:

[snip]
> I would think hemp would make an excellent reinforcing fiber based on a
> couple of simple observations. First of all hemp fiber is very absorbent as
> well as being very "toothy" making it quite obvious that it would bond
> extremely well with clay. In that regard straw is the one more likely to be

While the fiber is "toothy", are the un-retted stalks (i.e. hemp "straw")?
If it has to go through the retting process, it would seem to me to make
it less desirable.

[snip]
> resistant, another potential concern. As for its prohibition, that is a
> political matter, and politics, I've been warned, is not to be brought to
> this list. This despite the fact that building preindustrial earthen
[snip]

For anyone concerned about posting policies, the policies of the list were
emailed to you when you joined, or for you old timers, to the whole list a
few years ago when they were first written up.  If you want to remind
yourself of what the policies are or the reasoning behind them, please
check:

    http://www.deatech.com/natural/coblist/coblist.info.txt

End of political discussion - back to cobbing.