Cob: Re: rope making fibers

Howard Switzer ecoarchitech at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 6 22:57:58 CDT 2000

>Shannon wrote
>
> While the fiber is "toothy", are the un-retted stalks (i.e. hemp "straw")?
> If it has to go through the retting process, it would seem to me to make
> it less desirable.

Yes, one might think the retting process, which is freeing the fiber from
the stalk by letting the stuff binding them together rot a bit, might leave
you with an undesirable product. Americans are so squimish about rot. But
having inspected such fiber myself, I think it is perhaps considerable
evidence of the fiber's rot resistance. No, I don't think un-retted stalks
are regarded as "straw," nor can I imagine trying to mix them into cob.
Actually, I'm finding it rather humorous to imagine.

I do know that hemp fiber has been used in a cementious building panel that
is available. Don't know how hemp would perform long term in cob, of course.

Does anyone know the fella, I believe his name was Tom, and of course a
bunch of helpers, who was building an earthen building on the Pine Ridge
Res.. Woody Harrelson even had something or other to do with trying to
publicize it. I am amazed if none of you have heard of the project and it
certainly says something about the power of media. Anyway, if we can contact
him he could at least talk about it with some experience.

howard
ecoville architects