Cob: post for Patrick

Jeanne Leimkuhler jleimkuh at fine.interart.com
Mon Aug 21 09:59:15 CDT 2000

    Hello Jeanne;
        I have been using a mortar mixer for the past couple of years with
great success.  My recipe closely follows yours.  I put in all the water,
clay and half the sand.  The wetness of the mixture and the grittiness of
the sand help to break up the clay.  When the mix is nice and smooth I add
the straw.  Short straw does seem to work better, but you can compensate
this by adding as much as you want.  I then add the rest of the sand to get
the desired consistency.  Dump this straight into a wheel barrow and deliver
it to the wall.  It is great to have 3 or 4 barrows handy.  Another thing
that saves your body is to spend the time to build a scaffolding system that
can be adjusted in 1 foot levels.  This means you are always putting the cob
on the wall at a comfortable height.  Have the scaffold wide enough so that
you can ramp the wheelbarrow right to the spot where you are working.  This
saves bending over to pick up the cob.  You can then fork the cob directly
on to the wall.  It is fast, efficient and doesn't wear you out.  Can you
post this on the cob list for me.,  I have not figured out how yet.
                                                        Patrick on Mayne