Cob: RE: super insulated

Russel Johnsen wpgweb at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 17:41:45 CDT 2000

We are looking for some property very near Winnipeg
but land is becoming expensive.  We need a close
commute.

Our aim is to place a used mobile home and hook up
electrical, septic, cistern and when the cob house is
ready to a livable degree transfer over all amenities
and sell the mobile home.

In a frame house the wall frame holding the insulation
is a problem with heat conduction -- low R value.  I
expect the same problem with the cob structure around
the air tubes or pockets.  A 25" join would be similar
to a two by four in frame construction but I believe I
can get away with few of thes to keep the integrity of
a single wall construction.  I can assist this
integrity with other mess means of creating a
contiguous structure.

RC

I would be very interested on material about super
insulating.

--- Rosemary and Gerald Leclair <Leclair at doitnow.com>
wrote:
> dear Russel Johnsen,
> I'm Gerald Leclair formerly from Manitoba now living
> in Arizona. I built
> superinsulated homes in winnipeg and surrounding
> area in the 80's. this is a
> questipon i'm been asking myself for a while . this
> is brain  storming ideas
> . Maybe build a super insulated shell with cob
> interior walls to add a heat
> sink and get the contour effect of cob. Maybe
> strawbale on the exterior
> walls. This will give you great insulation value.
> Are you building in the
> city where the building codes might limityour
> freedom of expression or in a
> remote area?
> Gerald

=====