Cob: The code battle

John Fordice otherfish at home.com
Sun Oct 29 23:27:23 CST 2000

Justin,
The code situation has not changed much.  To my knowledge, the choices
are still:
1. go outlaw (not a viable urban option);
2. build small (legal & no permit needed if 120 s.f. or less in size);
3. build in an area that does not require permits (a rare situation &
probably non existent in an urban setting);
4. build in an area that allows owner builder permits ( same as #3 above),
5. build to code under the "Alternate Materials & Methods" section in
the code.

#5. is probably your only option for a house larger than 120 s.f. in an
urban setting.  The "Alternate Materials & Methods" section allows the
building of structures which are not directly addressed by the standard
code.  This is the situation with cob.  The biggest issues will be
structural & energy conservation, a bit difficult & there are
professional fees involved, but not insurmountable.   I'm a licensed
architect in California with cob experience & may be able to  assist you
in Washington State in getting a cob project thru your local code.
Contact me if you are interested.

As far as getting cob recognized & accepted into the building code so
that the need for professional assistance with meeting the "Alternate
Materials & Methods" section's requirements, this is a major project
which is currently stalled for lack of funding.  Once it is
accomplished, anybody who wants to build with cob in a location subject
to building codes will be able to do so.  But this will not be the case
until we cobbers get our act together & make it happen.

I've heard of the "Monolithic Adobe Code" but don't know anything about
it.  Can you describe it ?  Or do you have a copy of the code that you
can send me or post on line ?

john fordice
maker of cobbers thumbs
The Cob Code Project