Cob: Seismic Effects

John Fordice otherfish at home.com
Thu Mar 1 20:02:56 CST 2001

To John G. & all cobbers,
The seismic event in Washington yesterday points out the need to take
earthquakes seriously, no matter where you are, when you build with cob.
 Western Oregon, Washington & B.C. all fall into the Uniform Building
Code classification of Earthquake Zone 3.  While this is not as severe
as the Zone 4 classification in California, it is still a high risk
zone.  For other areas of a less sever classification, the risk is still
there in that there may be unknown faults which could be the source
otherwise unexpected earthquakes.  When it comes to building with a
heavy and non flexible material like earth, it is best ( in my opinion )
to be safe rather than sorry.  An earthquake is potentially possible no
matter where you build on the planet.  So don't mess around - build
safe.  Pushing the envelope is fine, but do it in a way that won't kill
you or somebody else who just happens to be in your building.

I'm hopeful that John's query brings info to the list that helps us to
see that cob in Western North America has shown itself to indeed be
earthquake safe & how this was attained.

For anyone who is interested, I posted to the list recently about this &
how it is relatively easy to include earthquake stability elements in
your cob building. This can be found in the Archive or I'll repost it if requested.

cob on
john fordice
maker of cobbers thumbs
TCCP