Cob: Fw: rvalue,stabilization

john freeman erthdesign at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 01:33:58 CST 2001

From: john freeman
To: coblist
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 9:05 PM
Subject: rvalue,stabilization

hey there. Bill was wondering about using gypsum board to stabilize his cob wall mixes.
(snip) "Has anyone added recycled gypsum board (Pulverized) to
their cob mix to stabilize it?   My biggest concern is the low r-value of cob.  Our (loadbearing) walls will be starting at 36 inches thick at
the base, tapering to about 26 inches at the rafters."(snip)

WHY Bill?  Is if for the building department?   You don't need it man.  It may just make matters more complex. It won't add significanly to your R value.

Speaking of which, check out discussions in the archives about cob R values versus thermal storage capacity.  Performance depends greatly on builing shape, size, location, wall thickness and orientation/exposure.  There is no tight formula.
The archives will prove fruitful I'm sure.  Think about adding lots of good short straw too.  Try a sample with as much staw as the cob can hold.  Evidence I've seen would indicate that it is not only more insulative but also reaches a maximun strength.  Worth a test block no doubt.  Cobb in you cold climate may take a few test blocks to get the right mix.  Good Luck
ERTH
design consultants
250. 882. 4404

Natural builder's Colloquium Spring 2001
check http://www. island.net/~elkec/calendar.htm#colloquium