Cob: RE: steel framing

Kimberly Hoyer knh78 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 15:01:48 CDT 2001

This is kind of a side comment to the steel framing
inquiry but I think for most people, building cob
structures is more about being kinder to the earth
than about the inexpensiveness (which is a WONDERFUL
side effect, no doubt). The production of steel is
detrimental to earth's natural processes like most of
the other processes we depend on, unfortunately, to
make our modern lives possible. If you really want to
use steel, it would probably be consciously ideal to
get recycled steel and do what you can with it. It's
probably more difficult than a kit but imagine the
satisfaction of knowing you are contributing to the
solution rather than the problem!

Kim Hoyer
Portland, Oregon

--- Mafalda Stock <mafalda.stock at yale.edu> wrote:
The other day I saw an ad for steel frame houses sold
in kits.  Would steel also rust, I wonder??  And would
cob or other earthen materials conflict with steel?
Steel would provide a very sturdy base for a house,
and it would be hidden from sight, although I have not
even looked at the cost factor.  Can anyone comment?

Mafi Stock