Cob: No money but not the Blues

Chrys Mollett harpland at caltel.com
Fri Jul 13 19:28:53 CDT 2001

Been looking in on the chats about the no money blues.

I can certainly relate, as I have lived with very little money for most of
my adult life.  This has been my choice, in actuality, but there are times I
FORGET that it has been my choice - and begin to feel like a victim.

Sure, but a victim of my own oversimplification of my own  needs.

I simply need to point out - that for myself I have learned that there is a
vast difference between being Broke and Living Simply.  A) Being Broke is a
situation which one has somehow landed in or evolved into and feels
restricted by, and  has developed few tools to make the best of it, except
for getting help from other folks' money who have more.

and B) Living Simply is a choice to do without unneccessaries on a regular
basis. Choosing to make do,
make it last, make it myself, or do without - is in fact a blessed
choice - -and when I consider it a blessed choice, my freedoms are
multiplied - within that experience.

A forestry worker of 28 years I know makes a good living, grows organically,
takes off with his wife & family for outdoor weekends, raised his daughter
in the sweet nest of healthy music festivals every year, and is a fine
example of clean, healthy, environment-conscious living.
One day I was bellyaching about not being able to afford this or that or the
other thing. (all too true, but clearly the result of my daily choices).
His comment to me was bright and clear:  I would think you'd be Proud to
live simply.

That marks the major difference between living simply & being broke:
Attitude.  Living simply is a choice - and when we connect with others who
have semi-similar ideals and resources for living simply & graciously - then
we are bolstering our potential for success.
Being broke is a stuck place - not able to see potential goodness in the
give & take betweeen people and energy and activities  and our own worth and
value in our actions.

ENough already.  Thanks for letting me share.
Alfie